Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 11 (5/1) Bad Romance

13.1mi, 109.5mi total.
And we managed to get yet another streamside campsite although I think we ruined some guys romantic evening plans. When we showed up there was a couple already here (in the only flat spot) and the guy didn't seem too thrilled to see us. However since we had already walked 13 miles, hitched into Franklin NC and to get a knee brace for my other knee, and the next water was 3 miles away, plus it was raining, we weren't going anywhere. They took off for a "walk in the rain" which she did not seem happy about, and when they came back announced they were moving to another campsite 1 mile uphill. In the pouring rain. Sure, packing up a wet tent and moving it while trying to stay dry may do it for some girls, but I'm just not seeing it...but maybe that's just me :-)
Other than the end of the day during which got rained on (but managed to get the tent up without soaking everything!) and ended up cooking in the vestibule, it was a good day. We did 8.4 miles in 4.5 hours this morning, which included one hell of a climb over Albert Mountain @ 5220ft. There were points in the climb where we just held our treking poles in one hand because it was a rock scramble. Unfortunately we got no payoff at the top because we were so fogged in we couldn't even see off the mtn. Well it stopped raining for about five minutes, time to get some sleep before a nice short 10 mile day tomorrow.
-Princess

I also got some Skittles in Franklin, which were nice too.
- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

2 comments:

  1. You guys are making me want to try a 10 day hike. I love the song references too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Lady Gaga. Makes even hiking in the rain better.

    "I want your love and I want your revenge, you an me could have a bad romance..."

    For some reason DTM doesn't appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete