Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 15 (5/5) Jumpin' Jack Flash

10.5 mi, 146.4mi
Ok, some of you may be wondering about today's song title...it all has to do with Duane (sp?) from FL. As we were coming down from Cheoah Bald after a day of almost complete uphill hiking, we hear a crashing sound behind us and barely managed to get out of the way before Duane comes running down the switchback. Yes, that's right he was running. With a pack on his back. I named him the Energizer Bunny. To give you a idea of how fast he hikes, let's just compare us for a second. We left Wesser at 7:50am to begin the 8.1 mile climb (3300ft of elevation with a small dip then climb at the end) which took us about 6 hours not including an hour lunch/rest. Duane told us he left around noon , so the same hike took him about 3 hours. He told us that he usually does 20-30 miles per day which I never would have believed if I hadn't seen it myself. So here's to the Energizer Bunny and maybe some of his speed will rub off on me!
I actually did better than I expected to considering how much uphill we did today. Even Snowfox was hurting & we're pretty sure our legs will feel like we just did a Jason workout tomorrow. It was hot & dry today so it was a good thing we like to start early. We even went further than we intended and plan to knock off a 1/2 day from our schedule to get into Fontana, which just gets me closer to the zero day in Hot Springs. Woohoo!

- Princess
Sent on the go from my Peek

1 comment:

  1. Jason workout:-( I wish Jason would come back!

    Sorry I didn't get to talk to you the other day. I was in a meeting when you called!! Maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete