Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 9 - Brittany & the bear

12.2mi, 85.1mi.
Oops, I did it again(twice). I managed to twist my ankle again, although not quite as badly as the last time. But it def. slowed us down, so Matt took more weight out off my pack. Keep in mind that he is already carrying 6 days of food for 2 people, which probably weighs about 12 pounds. So after taking some of my weight we think his pack weighed about 45 pounds. I won't say what mine weighed because it will just make me look bad :-) Suffice to say I have the best husband ever! We crossed our first state line today into North Carolina which welcomes AT hikers by making them climb over 700 feet in less than 1 mile. It sucked a lot. We managed to make it to a campsite just south of Standing Indian shelter, but when we went to bear bag our food the tree ate our rope. The shelter didn't have bear cables, because apparently NC doesn't have the same bear problems Georgia does, despite the fact we are in a bear sanctuary! We rigged something up but the bag is only at the height of Matt's head, so we're hoping we still have all our food tomorrow. Stay tuned 'till next time!
-Princess

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment