Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 140 (9/7) - The Day That Never Comes

Day 140 - 5.2 mi/2180.0 mi tot/0.0 mi to go
The Birches Campsite to Baxter Peak, Mt Katahdin

What can I say about today...I MADE IT! After 140 days, 2180 trail miles, countless non-trail miles, a lot of tuna and some incredible support from friends and family I summitted Mt Katahdin. In a perfect world I would have waited for a better weather day but that isn't going to happen for 4 more days (maybe) so I took what I got and hit the summit. The climb up was tough with a long section of hefty rock scrambles on damp rocks in high wind gusts. Visibility was very low (less than 50 feet) so it was definitely not the spectacular ending I was hoping for, but a very satisfying one anyway.

Not much more to say other than a big thank you to everyone who helped Sabrina and I throughout the journey and to all those who followed along on this blog and on facebook tracking our progress. Keep on the lookout here over the next few days for a specific list of thank yous as well as other post-hike info.

I picked this song as my last day song since for a long time it definitely seemed like it would never get here and now that it did, "the sunshine never came".

Waiting for the one, the day that never comes, when you stand up and feel the warmth, but the sunshine never comes, no the sunshine never comes.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment