Thursday, December 16, 2010

I still haven't found what I'm looking for

And coming in even further behind Matt's post are my final thoughts.  It's a little different for me because I'm not finished yet.  I would like to finish up the trail doing sections, and since Matt is planning on coming with me he'll end up hiking most of the trail again :-) 

Despite the fact that I'm marginally better than Matt at being introspective, I find myself at a bit of a loss.  I enjoyed hiking 400 plus miles more than I ever thought I would.  A lot of things I was worried about turned out to be no big deal, but I think my biggest problem was the heat.  Once it started to heat up I was done.  I did not want to be out there anymore.  Of course on the flip side I also learned the hard way that a 15 degree bag will not keep me warm in 35 degree weather, so I guess I don't do well at either end of that spectrum. 

I put a huge amount of time and effort into researching gear, food, and logistics.  I think I read almost every book out there (some of which I do NOT recommend), and spent hours on whiteblaze which is kinda funny considering I didn't finish.  And to be honest I wasn't nearly as motivated as Matt, in fact I was pretty much only out there for him.  As much as I love him, that's not nearly a good enough reason to hike for 6 months!  But all the effort was worth it, because it allowed Matt to achieve his dream.  I went further than I ever thought I could and I learned to really enjoy hiking.  My favorite part was when we (finally!) got to the top of a mountain and we turned and looked back over the mountains we had gone over and I realized that I did that.  I climbed up and over all those mountains.  It was the most amazing feeling, and one I think I'll keep chasing in the years to come. 

~Princess/Sabrina


I have climbed highest mountains, I have run through the fields, only to be with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment