Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 42 (6/1) - (S)he's Got Legs

Day 42 - 11.8 mi/476.2 mi tot
Dave's Place, Damascus, VA to 2.4 mi N of Saunders Shelter near a pond

So maybe it was my new shoes, maybe it was the 24 hours away from hiking, maybe it was the beer yesterday or maybe it was the climb out of Damascus but my calves were killing me today as I started my trek. Oh well, just burning off some more of the calories I consumed in Damascus, but the grilled catfish at Quincys was worth every calorie and the tartar sauce they make there is great.

Damascus was a neat little town that seemed to be the most hiker friendly one so far. It really had everything a hiker would need in a very compact area. Unfortunately as I move further north, I hear that everything becomes more expensive. Most things so far along the trail have been very affordable for hikers.

Spent the day today leapfrogging with Dan B from Mass. We get along really well and have ended up with generally the same mileage goals so we end up camping together relatively often. Hopefully his "geriatric pace" (his words, not mine) will continue to match up with mine for a little longer through VA. He is in his 4th year of section hiking and is doing a Erwin to Harper's Ferry section right now that will just leave him a relatively short section in Maine to complete the AT.

as I am typing this Puck just rolled in to set up his hammock here for the night too.

I am looking forward to a day off in Pearisburg and some time with Sabrina there and for a bunch of nights along the trail following that.

She's got legs and she knows how to use them.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment