Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 43 (6/2) - I wish I was a little bit taller

Day 43 - 16.0 mi/492.2 mi tot
2.4 mi N of Saunders Shelter to Thomas Knob Shelter

Started today with a nice big up to Buzzard Rock on Whiterock Mtn and were rewarded with some great views and took a nice long break for lunch. Continued on and took the side trail up to Mt Rogers the highest point in VA.

I did this for 2 reasons:
1) to start my next adventure, getting to the top of the highest point in all 50 states, and
2) the mountan was named after William Barton Rogers, the first state geologist of VA and the founder/first president of MIT. So did I really have a choice?

But I did get to be the tallest persn in VA for a few minutes.

When I got to the shelter (which I have to stay in due to camping restrictions) there were two ponies there. This area has a herd of free range ponies living here and we should see more of them tomorrow. They are very much not afraid of humans and the little one tried to lick my legs to get the salt off of them.

Just Dan, Puck and myself here tonight so far and we aren't really expecting any others to join us either.

I wish I was a baller.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

1 comment:

  1. Ponies!!!! That is awesome. I am jealous. Of the ponies part. Not the hiking/camping part.

    ReplyDelete