Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 44 (6/3) - and I would walk 500 miles...

Day 44 - 21.4 mi/513.6 mi tot
Thomas Knob Shelter to Dickey Gap (VA650/VA16)

Another big milestone day today, I crossed the 500 mile mark right before lunch. 1666 mi more to go from where I am staying tonight. Also, another big mile day that I completed relatively early (4:30 pm) and still had plenty of light left to handle dinner prep and camp chores before retreating to the tent to avoid the bugs. Also another day where Dan and I kept pace and met up at several locations during the day to eat, chat and make plans for upcoming sections of the trip. Unfortunatelt, I think we are going to part ways after Atkins, VA as I make the attempt to get some big mileage days under my belt. He is on a section hike from Erwin to Damscus and isn't planning on the same mileages that I am looking at. Oh well, is been good hiking with him and I will enjoy the next few days until we split.

Today was pretty neat, going through the Grayson Highlands portion of VA with a bunch of large grassy balds, spectacular views (supposedly, but I couldn't see them through the fog this morning) and a bunch of wildlife. Today I saw some more horses and another fawn on the trail.

It was hot all day today and with not much wind right now, I don't know how much it will cool down tonight, hopefully some. Tomorrow I am looking at a shorter day heading to Partnership Shelter which is one of the few spots on the trail where you can get a pizza delivered. It is just under 15 miles from here so that might mean a late lunch is in order. There is also a rumor that showers might be available there too.

After that, into and out of Atkins the next day and onward towards Pearisburg and more days closer to seeing Princess/Sabrina again. Probably take a zero day with her on Sunday before getting back at it next Monday.

And I would wak 500 more (three more times)

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment