Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 55 (6/14) - aint no mountain high enough

Day 55 - 21.5 mi/700.2 mi tot
VA 621 to VA 311 (camped at Catawba General Store)

Hmmm...slackpacking? How will this go? Some people say it works great others don't like it at all. Overall I give it a B plus for a grade. It was really refreshing to do 21.5 miles without feeling like I got hit by a truck but it will make putting my full pack back on more difficult for tomorrow. I need to not make a habit out of this, although it did good things for my heel healing (almost completely closed up).

Dragon's Tooth was a nice long climb today and I was rewarded with some great views from the top of the tooth and a nice seat for my lunch too. It was a little bit of a technical climb to get to my perch but was well worth it. Tomorrow I go up over McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs, two other places that are supposed to be really nice on my way through Troutville and Daleville.

Seems like hiking and meeting up with Princess at an end point will work well and will give me a chance to make some good miles while not having them take too big of a toll on my body by only carrying a day or two of food at a time. The Catawba Genera Store has a nice large lawn that they let hikers tent on so we are taking advantage of that tonight.

Aint no river wide enough to keep me away from you girl.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment