Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 56 (6/15) - I Wanna Rock

Day 56 - 21.9 mi/722.1 mi tot
VA 311 to VA 652 (into hotel in Daleville, VA)

So one of the benefits of having Princess come back to support me was her bringing me my IPod to listen to while I am hiking. Today was the first day I had it and it was charged enough to use. It was a really good day to have it for some sections since the heat and humidity today were killer and it was a nice distraction to get me through the day. It was also good to have some music in my head and have a bunch of songs available to research future blog post titles.

Today I went over McAfee Knob and walked along Tinker Cliffs near Roanoke. Both of which provided some great views and some good places to take breaks and try to cool off a little bit, which didn't really work. By the time (3:30 pm) that I got to VA 652 to meet up with Princess, I was soaked and very hot and the nice cold water she had for me was greatly appreciated and needed. We sat there in our chairs for a little bit to cool me down before we decided that it might be a good night to hit up a hotel and enjoy some air conditioning instead of sweating the night away in our tent. Turns out that was a great plan since a line of thunderstorms just rolled through and we would have been soaked. A pizza delivery also was a nice touch to the evening.

Tomorrow, I will pass the one-third mark for the trip and will encounter the Blue Ridge Parkway for the first time too. It is pretty amazing to think that I have covered 33% of the trail and am moving forward north to get finished in Maine in late September. The Blue Ridge Parkway will be a common sight for me for the next few weeks as I cross or intersect this road several dozen times between here and Front Royal, VA.

There's only one thing that I want to do - I WANNA ROCK!

- Snowfox

1 comment: