Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 61 (6/20) - like a prayer

Day 61 - 25.7 mi/824.3 mi tot
US 60 to VA 56

So today was my biggest mileage day yet...until tomorrow when I am shooting for just under 30 miles in a marathon slackpacking effort to get to Waynesboro and catch up with some friends ahead of me. The day today was a great one (except for the 2000 foot climb to start the day) with warm, but not hot temperatures, relatively low humidity and a bunch of breezes, probably remnants from the thunderstorm system that moved through last night. Once I got up that climb, the walk across Cold Mountain was really great with a big grassy top, lots of new wildflowers to take pictures of and some great views.

I spent most of the rest of the day along the ridge and finished with a climb of, and huge 3000 foot descent of, "The Priest". There were some really great views of the farmlands below, but that downhill seemed to go on forever and I finally got to the bottom to where Princess and the chase car were waiting. Made a quick soda run and set up camp near the Tye River for the night and got to soak my feet in the river while I ate my dinner (mac & cheese with tuna). A whole school of little fish spent the time my feet were in there feasting on my toes, which is apparently a new-ish spa treatment that people pay big bucks for. The Snowfox personal finance tip of the day: find a river and use the $$ for beer instead.

Hoping for a very early start to the long day tomorrow and laundry and a shower in town later in the afternoon.

Just like a prayer you know you'll take me there.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment