Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 84 (7/13) - Jailhouse Rock

Day 84 - 17.4 mi/1248.9 mi tot
Allentown Shelter to PA873 (Palmerton, PA)

The day started as a very wet (from last nights rain...and it rained all night) and still drizzly morning. Thankfully it kept the temperature down so even in the high humidity it wasn't too miserable. Ran into Dr Rock along the way today and hiked with him for 8 or 9 miles and found out that he was in a similar situation as me. He started the hike with his girlfriend and she was forced off the trail due to injuries and is now back driving along as car support. So when I got down to the road I was able to get a ride into town from her which was a lot better than the 2 mile walk or tough hitch.

When I got into town I went to the town hall and checked into their "Jailhouse Hostel" a hostel in the basement of the old police station. Got a great shower there with nothing even resembling a low flow shower head so it worked well to pressure wash the funk off of me. Did some laundry and spent a bunch of time at the library on the internet checking email and Facebook, a nice relaxing afternoon.

Overall this is a great small trail town with the grocery store giving a free apple to hikers, the library giving a free paperback to hikers and definitely the free hostel is a nice touch too. Everyone here was very friendly and it is avery underrated trail town, definitely a must-visit along the way.

At the hostel I met up with Wayfarer, Rocket and Alano and had a good time eating dinner and hanging out with various combinations of them tonight. Oh yeah...for dinner we hit up Berts Steakhouse and their peach-blueberry pie was a great ending to my meals here in town. Overall a very successful day in my opinion. Two more days to Delaware Water Gap.

The warden said "Hey buddy don't you be no sqaure if you can't find a partner, use a wooden chair". Lets Rock.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment