Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 107 (8/5) - Nookie

Day 107 - 19.8 mi/1662.1 mi tot
VT 11/30 (Manchester Center) to Little Rock Pond Tenting Area

If I didn't mention it yesterday, the Green Mountain House Hostel is a great place to spend a night away from the trail. Had a good breakfast of Fruit Loops then a feta cheese omelete from what was left over in the fridge from other hikers. made for a good start to the day. Jeff drove me back to the trailhead and off I went.

It was another damp morning that turned into rain causing me to run (yup...I ran down the trail) the last quarter mile to the next shelter. I made it there just before the downpour started. This made a good time to wait for an hour until the heavy stuff passed. Right after the shelter there was a detour posted for the trail due to a missing bridge over a stream. The detour added 3 miles to my trip today but it avoided what was written up as a "dangerous ford". Turns out I was the only chump on the trail who took the detour, everyone else I ran into skipped the extra mileage and crossed the stream anyway. Turns out it was an easy ford and I should have not done the extra road miles. The road miles were tough on my feet with the hard packed surface and by the time I got to the tenting area I was ready to be done.

Unfortunately I was not planning on stopping at the tenting area and so I hiked past the area to get to the shelter another half mile down the trail. The shelter had been torn down that morning to make room for a new shelter being built over the next two weeks. So, like a chump again, I had to walk back to the tenting area and had to figure out how to set up my tent on a platform. Hopefull I won't have to do that many more times since it didnt work well with my non-freestanding tent. Oh well, at least I won't have a river tonight.

Like a chump, hey.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

1 comment:

  1. You are my "high compliance" first child! Love you!

    ReplyDelete