Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 113 (8/11) - Ready to Go

Day 113 - 20.8mi/1770.0 mi tot
Moose Mtn Shelter to Brackett Brook

I made a great call last night to stay inside the shelter since it rained, thundered and lightninged like crazy for a good part of the night. There were a few roof leaks requiring some rearranging of bodies in the shelter but nothing that 4 people in an 8 person shelter couldn't handle.

The hiking today was like pre-school for the introduction to the White Mountains and the Whites themselves. A few good climbs over the North Peak of Mooe Mtn, Holts Ledge, Smart Mtn, Eastman Ledges and Mt Cube. I can only generall estimate but my total elevation gain for the day was somewhere in the range of 6000 feet. This is just based on the low and high point along the way and doesn't include all the many dips and rises throughout the day. And I am camped here near this stream at just about the same elevation I was at last night so I also did a lot of downhill today, which isn't necessarily any easier.

The plans for the next two days look like this:
- tomorrow hike about 12 miles through Glencliff (to get my packages there) and get to the base of Mt Moosilauke
- Friday hike the 9 miles over the Mtn then head into Lincoln for a more extensive resupply and some rest. The rest will be needed since the hike is 3700 feet up followed by 3000 feet down. Definitely not an easy day and a fitting introduction to hiking in NH and ME.

The next 200 miles or so are some of the toughest on the trail, both physically and mentally, but are also some of the best stuff along the 2200 mile trek.

From the rooftops shout it out: baby I'm ready to go!!!!!

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment