Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 115 (8/13) - Elevation

Day 115 - 8.4 mi/1791.0 mi tot
Jeffers Brook Shelter to Kinsman Notch

Really, nothing could ruin today. My first time above treeline this trip and it certainly did not disappoint. The climb up Mt Moosilauke (summit elvation 4802 feet) was not nearly as bad as it was made out to be and I got to the top with a clear sky and views for many many miles in all directions. It was a great two hours I spent up there just relaxing and taking pictures from above the surrounding clouds. These are the views and locations I have been waiting for since Georgia. The balds in the south were nice, but there is something special about actually being above treeline. The hike down from there was a very slow one with a very steep trail following a cascading brook down the valley to the notch.

At the notch (AKA: gap for those who are more familiar with that term) I called up section hiker Dan (see blog entries from late May through mid June) who lives part time in the area and was able to meet up with him for the afternoon. A busy afternoon of drinking good beers, showering, laundry and dinner awaited. We had a good time catching up and going over my plans for the next 100 miles of trail since he is very familiar with the area. I stayed at his place for the night and will be ready to tackle two 4000 footers tomorrow.

Woo-hoo-ooh, woo-hoo-ooh...el-e-va-tion!

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment