Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 118 (8/16) - No Rain

Day 118 - 14.7 mi/1835.0 mi tot
Galehead Hut to Crawford Notch

The work for stay worked out great at the hut, but I am cautious about extrapolating this to other huts since it looks to be very dependent on the hut croo (yes, they spell it croo...I have no clue why). Got two good meals and a bench to sleep on out of the rain (and wow did it come down last night nea the hut) out of the deal and for doing some nominal chores around the hut, I can't really complain. The only drawback is that morning chores result in late starts (I didnt get going until almost 9 am today). Good thing it was a good day to have a late start since the terrain was very conducive to getting all my miles done at a reasonable time. Huts are also a great place for "yogi-ing" and I got a few gifts from some of the hut guests before they took off.

The climb out of the hut was a big one in a very short amount of time, which got the sweat flowing despite the cool temps and misty/foggy day. Overall it was a good day for some mediocre weather and I only missed one view because of it. I ate lunch at Zealand Falls Hut and yogi-ed some brownies from a day hiker before moving on down to the road where a tarp, chairs and cooler with soda and beer was waiting for any lucky thru hikers (like me) that happened to come by. I also was able to get a ride with a pair of day hikers to Highland Center where I had a mail drop and ended up staying the night in their bunkhouse. A little on the pricy side, but my original option for a bunk tonight does not actually have bunks, so this was as good as it gets. I met a father with his two teenage daughters here and had a good time answering questions about the AT for the older one (15) who has hopes of doing this hike someday. Kevin (the father) also offered me a ride back to the trailhead tomorrow after breakfast which will greatly simplify the morning.

Tomorrow should set me up well to go up and over Mt Washington on Wednesday morning sometime.

I read a book to stay awake and it rips my life away but its a great escape.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment