Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 131 (8/29) - Anthem for the year 2000

Day 131 - 15.3 mi/2007.5 mi tot/172.5 mi to go
ME 27 (Stratton, ME) to Little Bigelow Lean To

Big news today, I passed over the 2000 mile mark! It is hard to comprehend walking that far but here I am only 10 days from the end. Had some great views today from on top of the Bigelow Range and spent an hour on the West Peak eating lunch and taking it all in. This will be my last time above treeline for a while but it was certainly a good day for it. Lunch was eaten with the Kibby Mtn wind farm as a backdrop and this will be my last day of views of Dad's work. Hopefully some good pictures, but we will know more when I can look at them on a real computer.

The hike today included almost 6000 feet of elevation gain and nearly as much loss. This makes for a tough day on the muscles (going up with a full load of food leaving town) and the joints (always fun on the downhills). After today we get started on some more consistent elevation terrain and hopefully moving back into some bigger miles too, moving myself closer to the ultimate goal, Katahdin (which I think I saw today from the ridge). I ran into a few college orientation groups today from Tufts and thankfully they are not at this shelter so I will be able to sleep well in minimal noise. We have great weather forecasted for the next 4 days so back into my tent for a while and onward to Monson in the sun.

Looking for a big day tomorrow trying to reach the Kennebec River before 4 pm (21 miles from here) to get a ride on the ferry across the river. Updates on my success to come tomorrow.

We'll make it up to you in the year 2000.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment