Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 130 (8/28) - it's a long way to the top

Day 130 - 13.5 mi/1992.2 mi tot/187.8 mi to go
Spaulding Mtn Lean To to ME 27 (Stratton, ME)

I forgot to mention yesterday that I ran into the first flip-floppers
that I knew from earlier portions of my hike. It was cool to chat with
them and good to see that Big Ooh, Koopa and Yahtzee are still going
strong.

Today was one of those days where the draw of getting into town
overshaddowed the several hills that were in the way. I made short
work (relatively) of the day and got to the road just after 1:30. The
only really bad part of the day was a 900 foot climb over 0.5 miles.
There was some other long slow climbing and descending sections but
those went fine.

Stratton is a nice small town with a nice motel (splitting double room
with Six Course), a store, and a great restaurant. The restaurant
serves the "wolfburger": a half pound burger topped with a sausage
patty, bacon, cheese and mushrooms. A great meal and it will
definitely result in a good sleep tonight.

Tomorrow ends the 200 mile section of the trail considered the hardest
of the whole trip. It will be nice to get into some flatter terrain
and make some progress towards the end goal for me.

Gettin' had, gettin' took, I tell you folks it's harder than it looks,
it's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

- Snowfox

Sent from my iPod

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt, Well done again. The Andover to Stratton section was a challenge for me. Strangely, my days were very close to yours - even the same campsites. Of course the difference is,while it took me 5 days, you are still hauling after 130+ !!
    I'm flying to Roanoke on Friday with full intentions of resuming the "geriatric shuffle" all the way to Harpers Ferry this time. Hope the water is plentiful. Any advice you have will be happily accepted.
    Finally, an early congratulation for completing the AT (next week?). I enjoyed and appreciate the time on the trail around SnowFox (and Princess). Well done to you both. dan b.

    ReplyDelete