Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 135 (9/2) - Where the Wild Things Are

Day 135 - 15.1 mi/2080.6 mi tot/99.4 mi to go
ME 15 (Monson ME) to Long Pond Stream Lean To

The town of Monson is not short on options for food for a small town. Lunch at the Lakeside Pub yesterday was great, the community dinner was a real treat and the breakfast at Shaws today was a hiker nirvana (and the gas station supposedly makes great calzones and the BBQ place is also supposed to be worth a visit, although I didn't have a chance to visit either of those places). Breakfast at Shaws is an "order by number" system with three choices: 1, 2, or 3. The number indicates how many pancakes, eggs, bacon slices and sausage links you want (all served with home fries too). It is all you can eat as long as you finish your plate so I went for the 3-3-1 meal today. My goal was 3-3-2 but the pancakes make it tough. I also, for the first time on the trail, skipped lunch since I was so full from breakfast. I think I made up for that with dinner though. Also many thanks to Dawn, Sue and the other staff at Shaws for a great stay, an awesome place to spend my time in Monson.

Hiking today was tough with 8 days of food in my pack an temps in the high 80s and 90s for my start into the 100 mile wilderness. No big climbs yet, but plenty of little ones to keep me working. I get some good cimbs tomorrow going up and over Chairback Mtn and the other peaks on that ridge. A nice night at the shelter with several thru-hikers from previous years, making for good conversation and funny stories. Also passed the 100 mile to go mark today...into double digits now.

You're where the wild things are - toy soldiers off to war.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment