Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 134 (9/1) - Sad but True

Day 134 - 9.0 mi/2065.5 mi tot/114.5 mi to go
Horseshoe Canyon Lean To to ME15 (Monson ME)

Today was a bittersweet day. It was a day heading into town which is
always good, but it is the last town on the trail with only a long
stretch of remote wilderness between me and the ultimate goal. Music
plus town motivation helped me to cover the 9.0 miles today in less
than 3 hours. Good time even on this flattish terrain. As for
yesterday, sorry to subject everyone to my whining but it was very
therapudic and I definitely felt better after putting it all in
"writing".

This is a nice town here with lots of very friendly people and a good
place to stay at Shaws. Dawn was very helpful despite being very busy
and I am happy with my plan to splurge on a private room here for the
night. Lots of my own space to spread my gear out for a final
shakedown to drop as much weight as possible before heading out
tomorrow with 8 days of food with me. That is a ton of food and I
think it weighs probably close to 20 lbs. That is a lot of incentive
to drop pack weight wherever possible to make the hiking less
miserable. I think I did pretty well and should be in decent shape
tomorrow.

Dinner tonight was great as the community center hosted a pot luck
dinner for only $8 and no one left hungry. Great food too and actually
sat next to a couple from NoVa.

Plans from here call for 5-6 days (likely 6) to get to the base of
Katahdin and one more day for the summit. Should be home sometime next
weekend, at least to Syracuse anyway. Blog posts may be sparodic
depending on cell signal availability but will get sent whenever I can.

I'm your dream, make you real, I'm your eyes when you must steal, I'm
your pain when you can't feel, you know it's sad but true. I'm your
dream, mind astray, I'm your eyes while you're away, I'm your pain
while you repay, you know it's sad but true.

- Snowfox

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment