Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 137 (9/4) - Goodbye Earl

Day 137 - 18.9 mi/2120.3 mi tot/59.7 mi to go
Newhall Lean To to Cooper Brook Falls Lean To

Lets get the important things out of the way first...HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY SABRINA! We got to chat on the phone for a while today and plans are set to meet up in Boston in less than a week. I am definitely a lucky man to have such a wonderful wife.

Well even a hurricane can't keep me from my schedule or my planned miles. I took a very late start today to let the rest of the downpour finish before going over Whitecap Mtn, my last time above 2000 feet until summiting Katahdin. There was plenty of water on the trail from the rain but at least no more was coming down. Just over the top of the mountain, I ran into Utah, a guy I had hiked with on and off for the first 500 miles of the trip. He decided to flip flop and was heading south bac to Salisbury CT where he got off. It was great to see him and get a little bit of news from behind me on the trail.

After that, the sun made an appearance and it turned into a great day with cool temperatures, nice trail and just good hiking. I caught back up with Tabasco at the East Branch of the Pleasat River where he and two other hikers had been pondering how to ford the rain-swollen river for 2 hours. We spent another hour there and finally found a path that was feasible and more or less safe. We all made it across with nothing more than wet feet. The shelter we ended up at might have the best location of any shelter on the trail. It is right next to a really good waterfall which is running especially fast after all that rain. I am tented not far from the falls and after squeezing 7 people into a tight 6 person shelter last night, the extra space is a welcome change.

Tomorrow should be a great 21 mile day with my elvation staying between 700 ft and 1000 ft all day. A nice easy walk to a shelter on the shore of Nahmakanta Lake. Summiting is still planned for Wednesday.

And turns out he was a missing person who no one missed at all.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment