Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 64 (6/23) - from the halls of Montezuma

Day 64 - 22.3 mi tot/876.3 mi tot
I64 (Waynesboro) to Dundo Picnic Area (camped at Loft Mtn Campground

Got a decently early start out of Waynesboro and was back on the trail and moving by 730. The first part of the day was hiked with a retired Marine out for a 2 week section hike named Trail Rat. We had some good discussions about the USMC but eventually age got the better of that retired Marine and he fell back on one of the steeper uphills. To be honest, I felt kind of proud at out-hiking a Marine (even if he had a few years on me...sorry Pat).

Anyway, shortly after that I caught up with Bird and Twiggzy and we all ate lunch adjacent to Skyline Drive with Princess, who had met us there to resupply us with water and had also brought me gifts of gatorade and cupcakes. Wife of the year, no competition. The two of them opted to slack pac the rest of the afternoon and we all wound up sharing a campsite at Loft Mtn Campground for the night. We are planning to slackpack tomorrow to the next campground, 26 miles ahead and repeat our evening (which was a lot of fun).

To the shores of Tripoli (or at least the shores of the Potmac River in a few days).

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

2 comments:

  1. I beg to differ. I often win wife of the year. Maybe Princess and I are in difference wife conferences. I bet that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the title and saw the word Montezuma, I must confess the first thing that came to mind would have had more to do with drinking some bad water than hiking with a former marine.

    ReplyDelete