Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 57 (6/16) - Spiderwebs

Day 57 - 19.5 mi/741.6 mi tot
VA 652 to VA 43 (Bearwallow Gap)

Not only was I the first person out on the trail today, but the spiders were out in full force last night. The webs were huge and some were in 3D around multiple branches on small trees, those were pretty neat. The big ones that looked like traditional webs were only missing words that said "what a pig" to be complete. I managed to avoid most of them but definitely scraped a lot of web and some bug carcsses of my hat as I walked this morning.

Overall the day wasnt too bad except for the humidity. At one point this morning I actually wrung out my shirt and probaly got 4-5 ounces out. At least it wasn't very sunny or too hot otherwise. there were also several decent water sources along the way so I was able to stay hydrated.

The Blue Ridge Parkway wasn't too bad to cross (probably helped that it was a Wednesday) and I got some cool views from the overlooks I walked through. It will be interesting to see how the traffic volume changes as I get closer to a weekend.

Other than Princess finding another nail with her tire, the pickup went fine (good thing the tires are under warranty) and we are currently camping at the Peaks of Otter campground about 5 miles from Bearwallow Gap. It is a pretty nice campground with a nice lake in it that she will probablu explore tomorrow as the tent dries out (there is some serious thunder going on right now, but no rain yet...yet).

I'm walking in the spiderwebs, leave a message and I'll call you back.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment