Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 58 (6/17) - I want to check you for ticks

Day 58 - 22.0 mi/763.6 mi tot
VA 43 (Bearwallow Gap) to Thunder Hill Overlook

It is amazing what a lack of humidity and some breeze will do for a hiking day. Its very easy, under those conditions, to do 10 miles by 10 am and 15.3 miles by noon. It made for me getting into Thunder Hill Outlook about an hour before planned. Apple Orchard Mtn was a very long, sustained climb and seemed to never end, but it was a cool FAA radar dome at the summit.

The hike was fairly uneventful, but I had a "first" for the AT. I had my first tick on my leg. I was suitably prepared and used my tick removal tool to get it off then cleaned the whole area with Purell (which, by the way, cures pretty much everything and can also start fires). It was probably only on me for about 20 minutes so it shouldn't be an issue, but I will continue to watch the area just in case.

Next up for tomorrow, a half day (about 14 miles) and a side trip to Natural Bridge.

(both Princess and I were unable to recall any witty lyrics from the song)

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment