Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 59 (6/18) - Under The Bridge

Day 59 - 13.2 mi/776.8 mi tot
Thunder Ridge Outlook to VA 130

Due to a lack of suitable road crossings about 20 miles from my starting point today, I opted for a short day and a side trip to Natural Bridge (one of the 7 NATURAL wonders of the world). The hiking today was relatively easy with a long stretches of relatively moderate grade, flat (across) trail. Made grea time and was done in under 4 hours. A nice early lunch and we were off to the bridge (oh yeah, I also got to walk across the longest pedestrian only bridge on the trail today too...a lot of bridges today).

We opted to take the cavern tour since it was inside and a perfect 54 degrees inside, which was a nice break from the heat outside. the tour was pretty neat and the rock formations were really cool. After the tour we headed for Buena (pronounced Boo-nah...not like the Spanish word) Vista to hit the library and get some dinner. We ended up at "Franks For The Memories" where we had some good food and met one of the owners, Karen. We got to talking and she offered to let us pitch our tent in her backyard for the night. Her husband, and co-owner Charlie, came by shortly after that and showed us to the house and let us take showers. We walked the few blocks back into town and enjoyed some art, live local music and a classic car display. Unfortunately hiker midnight (8:30) caught up with us and we opted for bed so I would be ready for my hike in the morning. I think I am going to hike south from near here about 22 miles to where I stopped today then go north from here the following day. some great trail magic to end the day!

I drive on her streets 'cause she's my companion I walk through her hills 'cause she knows who I am.

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment