Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 75 (7/4) - God Bless America

Day 75 - 25.8 mi/1090.0 mi tot
Tumbling Run Shelters to Toms Run Shelters

First things first, happy Independence Day to everyone out there (when no one else is listening I refer to y'all as "my adoring fans")! While many of you probably enjoyed a day of cookouts, beer and parties, I hiked...oh wait, that makes this a day that ends in "y". My big celebration will come tomorrow when I reach the halfway point of my journey and shortly thereafter make my attempt t join the half gallon club at the camp store in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park. The objective is to consume a half gallon of ice cream as fast as possible. Sounds like my kind of challange, I jus need to pick my flavor. Updates from that adventure will follow.

As for today, another non-eventful day on the trail. I am beginning to think that most hikrs took this weekend off since I have seen so few other thru hikers out here. A pretty boring day for me with no good views (or really any views for that matter) and just a bunch of repetitive trail scenes along the way. Although I did see part of another rattlesnake and must have scared it with a rock I had kicked forward because I heard the rattle. If there were people out there who were indifferent about snakes, this sound will change that outlook for good. A very disturbing noise that I won't soon forget and definitely puts me well into the anti-snale category.

A nice camping area tonight with a stream nearby and the whole place to myself. I had a good dinner of orange pepper chicken with chocolate pudding for dessert. A nice way to end the day. Probably a short one tomorrow at about 19 miles to stop right before a long section of "camping prohibited" area. Duncannon/Harrisburg by noon on Wednesday for a good half-day with Uncle Paul.

From the mountains to the valleys to the ocean, white with foam (at least I get 2 out of 3).

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment