Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 76 (7/5) - The Struggle Within

Day 76 -18.9 mi/1108.9 mi tot
Toms Run Shelters to Little Dogwood Run (0.1 mi S of Alec Kennedy Shelter)

I started the day with one struggle (do I eat the ice cream or not) then was prepared for another struggle within after eating the much ice cream.

I am officially halfway through the mileage on the trail and celebrated at 9:00 this morning with the half gallon challenge at the Pine Furnace Grove Camp Store. I opted for the peach ice cream (Breyers Naturals) and ate it in 28 minutes. Just to note, there are very few maufacturers that still offer a "true" half gallon but in fact have 1.5 quart containers (a half gallon would be 2 quarts). So techically I didn't eat a full half gallon, but since that is what was offered...good enough. There is no prize for this feat other than the "pride" that comes along with the accomplishment.

Since I knew that it was a shortish day, I hung around the store for a while and digested then had a Coke and moved on. I don't know if it was the sugar or the caffiene but I was flying after that and made great time the rest of the morning. Stopped at a small local store (special thanks to the guy who drove me up the hill) and got some Powerade after lunch then moseyed through the afternoon heat over my last 6 miles to where I am camped. I also finally found somewhere with service for the Peek and got the last few days worth of posts sent out (sorry for the delay...I know reading these is the highlight of the day for most of you).

Another great streamside campsite in prepsration for another 18-ish mile day through the Cumberland Valley and caping somewhere around the Darlington Shelter then into Duncannon on Wednesday for a nice half day break.

Bird and Twiggzy...I am leaving from the Doyle Hotel on Thursday morning, will either of you catch up by then?

So many things you don't wanna do, what is it, what have you got to lose

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

1 comment:

  1. How did you know reading your blog is the highlight of my day?

    ReplyDelete