Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 86 (7/15) - Get Up

Day 86 -14.4 mi/1285.3 mi tot
1.2 mi N of Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap

I am very ready to be done with these rocks. After some more sprinkles last night and continuing humidity today, they were slick and not much fun to walk over. Suppoedly just a day or two more of them into NJ then back to normal trail issues. Because of this slipperiness, I managed to lose traction at one point today and go for a nice slide ending up with my backside on the rock and my trekking poles flying through the air to both sides of me. While I was saved from any injury (other than a string of 4-letter words directed at the state and the weather in general) since I landed on my pack, the whole process must have been quite entertaining if anyone had seen it. Luckily for me, there were no witnesses.

So after getting into Delaware Water Gap, I got checked into the free hostel at the Church of the Mountain and took a really nice shower before going to pick up my packages at the post office. The hostel is pretty nice with a good sleeping room, plenty of space in a sitting room and on Thursday nights (tonight...I get somewhere on a good night for once) they have a congregation pot luck dinner for the hikers staying there for the night. It was a really nice meal and I spent the time chatting with a bunch of people and eating a lot of food. After that a trip to the bar next door for beers and open-mike blues/jazz. A really cool half day for me and very relaxing.

We all fall down so get up now! Why don't you get up and get out!

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment