Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 98 (7/27) - Streets of Boston

Day 98 - 21.0 mi/1495.6 mi tot
Pine Swap Brook Lean-to to Brassie Brook Lean-to

Well, not quite Boston, but I did spend a fair amount of time on the streets near Salisbury, CT today. Probably close to 4 "trail" miles plus and additional mile going in and out of Salisbury for a resupply to get me through the week. Most of the trail miles were the result of a trail detour due to construction on one of bridges used for the AT to cross the Housatonic River. Oh well, still get to the same place but me feet would have been happier without quite as much time on pavement.

Other than that I got some more climbing in to get re-prepared for hiking as opposed to the walking I have been doing recently. Went up and over Prospect Mountain as well as a nice climb for some great views from Lion's Head. The shelter near the top of Lion's Head, Riga Lean-to, had the best shelter views I have seen so far, but they wouldn't have been nearly as good from the tent sites and given the bug concentrations, I opted to continue on. Also got a good close look at Great Falls near Falls Village, CT. Not Niagara Falls huge but probably a good 60 or 70 foot drop...enough for them to have a hydroelectric plant there (see Dad, some of that electricity stuff did rub off on me).

Tomorrow is a big day...
- 3 big (well big for what I have been over recently) peaks in Bear Mtn, Race Mtn and Mt Everett
- crossing into Mass and completing CT for 10 states down and 4 more to go
- crossing the 1500 mile mark

Still moving north and looking forward to the weekend!

Why don't you brace for impact!

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment