Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 121 (8/19) - Wild Rover of Hell

Day 121 - 13.7 mi/1866.9 mi tot
Madison Spring Hut to Carter Notch Hut

After doing my chores at the hut during the afternoon/evening yesterday so I opted to skip breakfast at the hut and get an early start to my hiking day. The first three miles of my day took me up and over Mt Madison and down the ridge on the backside of the mountan. These were very rocky and very steep and took me 2 hours to cover these 3 miles. A very slow start to the day but it was necessay due to the terrain. After that it was fairly easy going to Pinkham Notch and I made good time through that section and there were actually some sections of the trail that I recognized from my previous trip so that was a good end to my morning.

Once in Pinkham Notch, I ran into Moss who I hadn't seen since the morning of my birthday in southwest Virginia. We chatted for a wihile and decided to do some "self" slackpacking using the Wildcat Mountain gondola. For $15, we got to leave our packs at the top of a 2000 foot climb, ride the gondola back down then hike back up to our packs. This worked out nicely and we made good time up this steep climb and didn't wear ourselves out along the way. After that we hiked the rest of the 3 miles to the hut and I spent most of that section playing pace car for a group of 40-somethings ladies. They had lots of questions and I seemed to entertain them well and they did fine keeping up as they bagged another 4000 foot peak.

Decided to stop at this last hut and do one last work for stay before getting out of the hut system. Should be nice since it seems like I might even get a bunk too.

Into Gorham, NH tomorrow and probably into Maine the next day.

Driving the highway with nothing to do...stereo pumping Metallica tunes...Ride the Lightning oh yeah (I have been waiting for a while for a good day to use this song by Volbeat and it was the first song on my Ipod shuffle playlist today and going up Wildcat seemed like a good excuse)

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment