Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 129 (8/27) - Back In the Saddle

Day 129 - 16.9 mi/1978.7 mi tot/201.3 mi to go
Piazza Rock Lean To to Spaulding Mtn Lean To

Today we tackled a few more formidable peaks including Saddleback, The Horn, Saddleback Jr and Lone Mtn. The hike up Saddleback was not as bad as expected and I was greeted near the peak with some pretty impressive winds, definitely harder than what I got on Mt Washington earlier in the trip. Just after cresting the summit, the clouds cleared and I got some really great views including back towrds Rangeley and some good views of the wind turbines on Kibby Mtn (we will have to see how the pictures of those comes out...I will get some more chances at them over the next few days too). Supposedly there could be views of Katahdin, but I couldn't find it today.

Overall today I felt good and covering the nearly 17 miles was good mentally since we still have about 30 miles of very tough terrain left before it starts to level out somewhat. Six Course and I are working well hiking together and are having a good time as we move along. It will be nice to keep in touch with him after the trail too since he lives near Baltimore sometimes. We are here in the shelter and there is a lot of company as a Bates College orientation program leaders group is out for a preliminary hike and stopped here for the night too. They were super nice yesterday to give me a ride into town too.

Heading into Stratton tomorrow and more hiking north after that.

Peelin' off my boots and chaps I'm saddle sore

- Snowfox

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Post a Comment